Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Work is...

Work is frustrating! I'm having a hard time finding the balance between pushiness and push-over-ness - I don't want to push my own agenda too much, as I'm sure there are things here I could be working on that need immediate attention, but at the same time no one seems to be giving me very much direction. Urgh. Tomorrow some women are coming to discuss gender-based violence activities for the White Ribbon Campaign, so maybe that'll give me something to start with? I have all of these very broad subjects I'm supposed to be working on (ie HIV, gender-based violence, income-generating activities, etc.), but nowhere to start on anything!

There's my complaining for the week.

My other project of the week is to find a new home. My German friend is leaving the German house soon, and it has made me realize that I need to find somewhere permanent. There are two women I met on the weekend that I'll ask (even though I feel very awkward asking outright), and then I don't know... Someone at work suggested I live with a man who works here, but I'm not sure it's the best idea. I don't really know him and while he seems very nice, I think it would just be a little awkward. So I think I'll try these two girls, and then ask this German girl I met the other day about her neighbourhood. She lives in La Cité Houeyiho, which is about a 10 minute drive from the office and more middle-class than where I live now.

The one exciting thing about all of this is that if I move far away from the office, I might have to buy a used motorcycle! It's the only way to get around here, and taking a motorcycle-taxi everyday to work would be expensive and really suck. I'd also probably be a better driver than many of the zem drivers here... Apparently a lot of them have drinking problems, which makes me nervous!

Back to work now... I'm trying to find contact info for all the groups I'm supposed to talk to/meet with. Somehow no one seems to know who the contacts are!

love Katie

No comments: